Monastery of St. George


It is located in the forest of Skaros, just after Kolivata in Alexandros area, on a plateau overlooking the northwest of the island. According to testimonies and documents it was founded in 1611 and it is one of the most historical monuments of central Lefkada. The monastery flourished during the Ottoman rule, when the forest of Skaros became its property. The temple of the monastery expanded in 1709. Highly valued paintings are preserved inside the church on the eastern wall which is left intact. The templon is very interesting and it was made in 1724.

Hermitage of the Holy Fathers


Rooted for centuries in a rocky area, 5km over Nikiana on the way to Alexandros, in a cave near Skaros. It is one of the oldest Orthodox monuments of the island. Church sources mention that the three Holy Fathers who came to the island after the first Ecumenical Council in Nice of Bithynia in 325 AD lived here as monks. Their tombs are in a chapel inside the cave.

Traditional stone houses in Alexandros and Kolivata


In the picturesque villages of Alexandros and Kolivata that will impress the visitor first is the old stone houses. Most of them have common features in their construction, such as doors with ornate arches of hewn stones, large windows that serve to be the home light and airy and the “cornerstones”, ie large carved stones that were placed in the corners of building to be stable. Most of the buildings are crumbling, although in recent years several of them were restored by acquiring their old glory.

Alexander Windmills & Watermills in Nikiana


The windmills of Alexander kept alive the residents of the area and its environs difficult years of the past. There went the villagers the few cereals them to get the flour of the year. Many years have passed since then, yet the two windmills are still standing at the entrance karterontas passersby to throw their eyes to what is left.


If anyone walked by the Episkopos in the reverse of the stream area and reached the height of “Kalogerokampou” will see lush vegetation and the watermill “stings”. Over the main part of the building there is a stone-built structure through which passed the water, which tumbling with power from on high was initiating mechanism of the mill. The water of the stream used for the movement of the mechanism, as there enough of an artificial channel that ran quite high above the point at the mill.